Nice - vieille ville

2010-05-05

Why didn't you tell me they were playing Michael Jackson!

I'm afraid I don't have anything very exciting to report as yesterday we just went to school, ran some errands, took naps (still suffering from good old jet lag), and then went out in Vieux Nice at night. No official cultural excursions, but pretty much doing anything ever in France is a cultural lesson automatically, even just having dinner with our host mom (She taught us the proper way to eat cheese yesterday- I had no idea there was a wrong way to eat cheese).
The couple bars (disclaimer to parents reading this: not everyone drank, so if you told your child not to drink, he/she probably didn't) we went to in Old Nice were pretty fun. The first was Les Trois Diables (The Three Devils), where they had lots of 90s American music videos and a menu of themed drinks like "le Cerbère" (Cerberus, the 3 headed dog that guards the gates of Hades), "le Styx," and another one that I don't remember the exact name, but it was something about mon oncle satan...it didn't make sense when we had the whole name either. Anyway the other bar we stopped at was an Irish themed pub named (get ready for it, fans of It's Always Sunny)... Paddy's Pub! It was chill and fairly indistinguishable from an American bar apart from being full of Europeans.
I apologize I didn't take my camera with me last night so I don't have any totally relevant pictures to liven up this post, but here are a few from the day before on our official excursion into Old Nice- the same part of town we were enjoying last night.

Anyone who knows me knows that I get excited when I see things like this


(mostly for my mom) they had a bunch of musical instruments in the cute little museum we visited that was converted from a Grimauldi?? residence (I didn't write down what that museum originally was, someone please correct me if I'm wrong)


yep don't worry I took a picture of the mini stuffed sleeping kitties someone was selling in the open market we passed through


now THAT's a headstone

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you guys were having a great time in Nice. I'm planning on enrolling to Actilangue as well as using the host family accommodation provided. Do you recommend it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete