Nice - vieille ville

2010-05-07

A tad bit late

Living in nice is no walk in the park as some of you may think. It requires more than just the ability to eat beacoup amounts of cheese, wine, and baguettes. One must also be able to navigate the streets and the bus system.

Yesterday, May fifth, Alec and myself decided it was time to hop on a bus with our handy dandy bus passes and explore the wonderful world beyond the city limits.

Hopping on bus number sixteen, we started the adventure. Little did we know that this particular bus was taking us towards destiny. A destiny that involved a familiar looking Moroccan, ghetto b-ball/soccer fields, lunch, and even a complete switch out of english out of fear for our lives..

So I begin...

While on the bus, I spotted a gorgeous girl around my age. But i was too scared to talk to her. Dang it.

Roughly half way through the bus ride, we started to notice subtle but definite changes in the environment. Some off these included but were not limited to:

1. All normal people getting off the bus.
2. Alec being the only white kid on the extra long, double length bus.
3. The lack of...children, women, people in suits...etc..etc..
4. Also, the large amounts of tagged walls, unkept streets, and boarded up shops.

Anyway, we realized we were leaving the touristy part of town and were entering the less travelled area. JUST what we wanted. As we passes b-ball courts converted into soccer fields, we realized we had better look less like tourist and more like locals. And since both me and Alec speak Spanish we decided it was probably safer than English.


A few miles later, we were very politely ordered to get off the bus because, the way the bus driver put it in French, "THIS IS THE END". Stepping off the bus, what do I see? Nothing but the end of Nice!!!!


Anyway, today we found out that we were in a town called Le Trinite or something along those lines. Us being us, we walked blindly in search of something to eat. Normally for lunch we like to sit down somewhere decent looking and eat a big meal, but today, was bread and cheese day. Bon appetite!

Yeah, so there we were, in a town we hardly knew, in search of a bakery. When we found one, we went in and I asked for a sandwich only to get a response of the second fastest french I had been spoken to in that day. Only rivaled by the french of an older lady on the bus who took it as a given that I spoke fluent French because I said oui to something she told me.

Anyway I should probably wrap this up since it was due like yesterday but I didn't have Internet access for most of the day..just know we had fun and I will be putting pictures up soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment